Mississippi State's Tanner Allen takes the lead in our SEC position player/DH power rankings
Chris Lee • 5/19/2021 in Baseball
Jacob Gonzalez photo courtesy of Ole Miss
Jacob Gonzalez photo courtesy of Ole Miss.
Here are our power rankings of position players and designated hitters as the Southeastern Conference enters its final weekend of league play.
In parenthesis is the number of runs each player has created per 27 outs in all games, according to a Bill James formula. If you notice higher numbers this week, it's because I prorated that to team output for the first time this week. Defense and production in SEC games also weighs heavily.
1. Tanner Allen, RF, Mississippi State (13.2 RC/27): Hitting .418/.488/.727 in SEC games, and hasn't made an error in any game.
2. Liam Spence, SS, Tennessee (11.7): Still leads the league in conference games with an incredible .533 OBP.
3. Enrique Bradfield Jr., CF, Vanderbilt (11.2): His eye at the plate (16% walk rate, 13% K rate in all games) speaks volumes about the freshman's maturity as a hitter.
4. Hayden Dunhurst, C, Ole Miss (9.1): His ability to control the running game really stands out.
5. Will Frizzell, 1B, Texas A&M (11.0): If the Aggies were any better, he'd get serious consideration for Player of the Year.
6. Tre' Morgan, 1B, LSU (11.4): It seems like his SEC stats (.393/.455/.579) have stayed constant the entire season.
7. Ryan Bliss, SS, Auburn (9.9): Tiger shortstop has clubbed 13 home runs.
8. Rowdey Jordan, CF, Mississippi State (10.1): One of the league's tougher outs, as he only strikes out 12% of the time.
9. Christian Franklin, CF, Arkansas (9.6): Continues to play both solid and spectacular defense in center.
10. Dylan Crews, RF, LSU (11.6): His 57.9 runs created in all games ranks second in the SEC.
11. Jud Fabian, CF, Florida (8.4): Gator center fielder has a career-high 20 home runs.
12. Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Ole Miss (10.6): Rebel shortstop is the reigning SEC Freshman of the Week.
13. Jake Rucker, 3B, Tennessee (9.0): Ranks among league leaders with 50 RBIs.
14. Kevin Graham, LF, Ole Miss (10.7): He's the Rebels' oh-so-consistent on-base guy and a tough out. (10% K rate).