Week Seven power rankings: Vanderbilt, Arkansas battle at the top
Chris Lee • 3/29/2021 in Baseball
Here's how we rank the Southeastern Conference's 14 teams heading into Week Seven
1. Vanderbilt (19-3, 5-1 SEC): The Commodores have allowed 58 runs, 17 fewer than second-place Kentucky.
2. Arkansas (19-3, 5-1): Our power rankings are our opinion of the best team; if the topic is best résumé, the Razorbacks (10-2 against Quad 1 RPI teams) would top the list.
3. Ole Miss (20-4, 6-0): The Rebels are 7-1 in one-run games.
4. Mississippi State (17-7, 2-4): Yeah, we know, the Bulldogs just got swept at home. But we're still big believers in that pitching staff.
5. Tennessee (21-4, 5-1): The Vols have the best record in the league (9-1) over the last 10 games.
6. South Carolina (16-6, 4-2): The Gamecocks have followed a six-game losing skid with a five-game winning streak, punctuated by a home sweep of Florida.
7. Florida (16-8, 3-3): That 1-5 record against Quad 1 teams is probably the biggest stunner in the league so far.
8. LSU (16-8, 1-5): Landon Marceaux has an 0.26 ERA, while the rest of the team's is 4.76, including Jaden HIll's 6.35.
9. Texas A&M (17-9, 2-4): If you like strikeouts, watch an Aggie game, as A&M's second in the league at fanning hitters (307) and whiffing itself (228).
10. Georgia (16-7, 2-4): The Bulldogs are tied for the league lead in fielding percentage (.979) and have given up the second-fewest unearned runs (eight).
11. Kentucky (17-4, 5-1): We love the record, too, but it's been bolstered by a No. 198 RPI strength of schedule (the Wildcats haven't had a Quad 1 game yet) as well as weekends against the league's two worst teams.
12. Alabama (15-9, 1-5): Don't count out the Crimson Tide yet; they've scored 30 runs in league play and given up 35, and rank 18th in Monday's RPI.
13. Auburn (11-11 0-6): Fifty-one of the Tigers' league-leading 181 runs scored (tied with LSU, but in two fewer games) came against 1-10 Alabama A&M.
14. Missouri (8-15, 1-5): Two of Missouri's five league losses have come by a combined three runs, so there's that.