SEC Offensive Player of the Year race: It's almost too close to call between Bryce Young and Matt Corral in Week Nine
Chris Lee • 10/28/2021 in Football
Here's our top 14 candidates for SEC Offensive Player of the Year heading into Week Nine.
Matt Corral photo courtesy of Ole Miss.
1. Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss: Has accounted for 2,387 yards of total offense, 24 TDs and just two turnovers, and played through pain to lead the Rebels to a 6-1 start.
2. Bryce Young, QB, Alabama: Leads the league with 28 total TDs (26 through the air); has been picked twice and lost two fumbles.
3. KJ Jefferson, QB, Arkansas: 2,076 yards of total offense, 20 TDs and five turnovers; lost a half due to Razorbacks' blowout last week.
4. Brian Robinson Jr., RB, Alabama: 13 total touchdowns, 884 yards from scrimmage, and more importantly, always seems to answer the bell in big spots.
5. Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M: Averaging 6.5 yards per touch on 144 touches;hasn't lost a rushing fumble his last two seasons.
6. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas: 788 yards from scrimmage and eight TDs; has topped 100 receiving yards four times and three times in SEC games.
7. Evan Neal, LT, Alabama: PFF consistently grades him good to great across all competition.
8. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia: 428 yards from scrimmage and seven TDs lead all SEC tight ends; blocks well, too.
9. Chris Rodriguez, RB, Kentucky: 808 yards from scrimmage, though he had just seven carries for seven yards vs. Georgia.
10. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama: His 19.8 yards per touch tells the story of his explosiveness.
11. Tyler Badie, RB, Missouri: Leads the league with 1,000 yards from scrimmages, but needs to play better against good defenses to move up.
12. Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee: 1,995 yards from scrimmage, 21 total TDs and just four turnovers even though he started the year as the backup.
13. Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M: Has 798 yards from scrimmage and the highest average per touch (7.7 yards) of any running back on the list.
14. Dontarrio Drummond, WR, Ole Miss: Still dependable, but hasn't had 100 yards receiving in his last five games.