SEC hitter and position player rankings, May 19: Florida's Langford, Vandy's Bradfield debut on the list
Chris Lee • 5/19/2022 in Baseball
We've got a few new faces on our list this week, starting with a pair of the league's hottest hitters--Wyatt Langford at Florida and Enrique Bradfield Jr. at Vanderbilt.
Wyatt Langford photo courtesy of Anna Carrington/Florida athletics.
Here's our list of the SEC's best non-pitching players heading into the final weekend of SEC play. Lots of factors are considered--defensive value, production in SEC games, strength of schedule, etc. A players "runs created" total (per a Bill James formula), and that player's runs created per 27 outs, is listed in parenthesis.
1. Sonny DiChiara, 1B, Auburn (68 RC, 17.9 RC/27): Tiger slugger has been intentionally walked a whopping 14 times.
2. Dylan Rock, OF, Texas A&M (56, 12.2): Second in league games in on-base percentage (.504) and fourth in slugging (.732)
3. Dylan Crews, CF, LSU (63, 11.8): Seventh in on-base percentage in conference games (.450) and fifth in slugging (.717).
4. Jacob Berry, 3B/RF (55, 12.5): He's missed much of the past two weeks, but he leads the league in average (.395) in SEC games.
5. Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida (63, 12.7): Hit two home runs in a mid-week game vs. Florida State, giving him 19 this season.
6. Dominic Keegan, C/1B, Vanderbilt (55, 11.7): Ranks second in the league in batting average (.384) in all games.
7. Trey Lipscomb, 3B, Tennessee (57, 10.9): Leads the league in home runs (20) and RBIs (72) in all games.
8. Enrique Bradfield Jr., CF, Vanderbilt (55, 10.4): Has stolen 41 bases in 41 tries in all games; league's next-best total belongs to Tennessee's Seth Stephenson (19).
9. RJ Yeager, 2B, Mississippi St. (53, 11.1): Topss the league in slugging percentage (.767) in SEC play.
10. Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Ole Miss (52, 10.0): Tied for 12th in the league in home runs n all games (14).
11. Connor Tate, OF, Georgia (55, 10.8): Ranks second in the SEC in average in league games (.386), fourth in on-base percentage (.475) and ninth in slugging (.683).
12. Drew Gilbert, CF, Tennessee (49, 13.0): Playing time (191 plate appearances; 22 less than second-fewest on this list) and less production in SEC games (.313/.421/.495) holds him down on this list, but he's been so good offensively and defensively on the whole.
13. Spencer Jones, RF, Vanderbilt (52, 11.3): Had a bad weekend offensively and defensively at Arkansas, but he's otherwise been rock-solid for the Commodores.
14. Tim Elko, 1B, Ole Miss (52, 10.4): Has mashed 41 home runs in his storied career in Oxford.