Vandy duo stays top Week 10 SEC pitcher rankings
Chris Lee • 4/20/2021 in Baseball
Vandy's Rocker and Leiter remain atop our Southeastern Conference pitcher rankings.
Landon Marceaux photo courtesy of LSU.
Here's our ranking of the 14 best pitchers in the Southeastern Conference. Innings pitched and ERA are in parenthesis. We consider overall body of work with a heavy emphasis on SEC play.
1. Jack Leiter, Vanderbilt (55.1 IP, 0.98, ERA): Gave up three of his four career home runs allowed vs. Tennessee last weekend.
2. Kumar Rocker, Vanderbilt (55, 1.64): Got back on track with seven shutout innings vs. Tennessee.
3. Landon Marceau, LSU (54.2, 1.65): Had one bad outing vs. Vanderbilt, but otherwise elite.
4. Gunnar Hoglund, Ole Miss (56, 2.73): Ranks third in league games in innings pitched (32.1) and strikeouts (45) and seventh in ERA (2.51)
5. Kevin Kopps, Arkansas (32, 1.12): It's no wonder he succeeds given his rates of free passes (9%), strikeouts (43%) and fly balls (6%).
6. Landon Sims, Mississippi St. (24.1, 0.37): Strikes out 52% of the hitters he faces with an 8% free pass rate.
7. Doug Nikhazy, Ole Miss (38.2, 1.86): Owns the best ERA (0.70) in SEC games.
8. Will Sanders, South Carolina (38.1, 2.11): His 1.99 ERA in SEC play ranks fifth.
9. Cody Greenhill, Auburn (44, 2.45): Weekend starter picks up a save in Tuesday win vs. Samford.
10. Christian Scott, Florida (31.2, 1.99): Each of his six SEC appearances have gone at least two innings.
11. Chase Lee, Alabama (22.1, 0.40): Side-armer has five wins and four saves and finally allowed his first run of the season last weekend.
12. Nick Maldonado, Vanderbilt (20.0, 0.90): Turning into a valuable high-leverage weekend reliever; his 0.60 runners allowed per inning is the best of anyone on this list--and yes, that includes his teammates Leiter and Rocker.
13. Ryan Webb, Georgia (41.1, 2.83): He's transitioning well from relief role, having gone at least 5 1/3 in five of his past six starts.
14. Cole Stupp, Kentucky (50.2, 3.02): Doesn't walk many (6% free pass rate) and has a 31% ground-ball rate, which is a great combo in this launch angle era.